Each year more than 30,000 substantiated cases of child abuse and neglect are reported in Georgia. The Georgia Center for Child Advocacy is committed to facilitating the healing process for children who have experienced child sexual abuse, physical abuse, and witness to violence; as well as promoting prevention of child abuse throughout Georgia.
What We Do
The Georgia Center for Child Advocacy was established as a private, non-profit agency in 1987. The Center’s mission is to champion the needs of sexually and severely physically abused children through prevention, intervention, therapy, and collaboration.
The Center performs a wide array of services:
- Provides video recorded forensic interviews for over 700 child abuse victims each year
- Has provided training to over Conducts nearly 100,000 adults in Georgia to prevent child sexual abuse, since 2008
- Conducts over 1,300 counseling and therapy sessions each year, providing hope and healing for child abuse victims
- A leader throughout Georgia in recognizing, interviewing, and providing treatment for Commercially Sexually Exploited Children (CSEC)
- Coordinates multi-disciplinary case reviews of over 1,000 cases of alleged sexual abuse each year in Fulton and DeKalb Counties
- Provides over 200 clinical staff hours for preparation and expert testimony in court annually
Why We Do It
The statistics are grim!
- 1 in 10 children is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.
Sources: Darkness to Light, Statistics Surrounding Child Sexual Abuse, www.D2L.org, Centers for Disease Control and The Federal Administration for Children and Families, www.cdc.gov
BUT THERE IS HOPE…
The good news is that child sexual abuse victims do benefit from early intervention by trained professionals. At the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy, we see improvement in behavioral problems and self-esteem and the creation of hope. With over twenty-five years of experience in providing child abuse services in Atlanta, we are seeing generations of children who have received help at the Center, engaged in healthy adult lives and positive relationships thereby creating healthier and happier communities for you to live, work, and play!